All following recipes are the original work of kidvelociraptor. If you want to repost the text elsewhere, just make sure that you credit me for the recipes, & include a link to this post. Thanks!
Note: I tend to mix & bake food in slightly unorthodox ways. If you’re more comfortable sticking to the standard methods of combining ingredients, it shouldn’t dramatically alter your outcome.
🍯 Kid Velociraptor’s Basic Pancake Batter Recipe
(Makes about 24 Med-Large Pancakes)
2.5 cups Flour
6 Tbsp Sugar
2.5 cups Milk
2 Eggs (Optional: 1 Egg + 3 Tbsp Egg Whites from carton)
2 Tbsp Oil or Melted Butter
2 Tbsp Vanilla
1/8 Tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Baking Powder
Optional: Blueberries, Raspberries, Diced Strawberries, Diced Apples, or Chocolate Chips
1) In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter & sugar, then add vanilla extract & a pinch of salt.
2) Add eggs/egg whites, & combine.
3) Pour in milk & flour, stirring until lumps in batter are small.
4) Add baking powder last, to help smooth out the inevitable lumps.
5) Optional: Mix in berries, fruits, or chocolate chips.
6) Heat greased pan on burner set to 3 or 4 (depending on your stove.) Pour or spoon batter into hot pan, & let it cook for 30-90 sec each side.
• How to tell if your pancake is ready to flip: wait until the bubbles that appear stay popped, &/or the edges start to harden, & you can slide a spatula underneath the pancake without it breaking apart.
🎂 Cake Mix Pancake Batter
(Makes 14x 3-4″ Pancakes)
Ingredients are the same as in the previous pancake recipe, but replace 1/2 cup flour with 1/2 cup Cake Mix, decrease sugar to 4 Tbsp, & add 1/4 cup Rainbow Sprinkles at the end.
Option A: Skip the sprinkles & add blueberries instead, for the sweetest, tallest, fluffiest Blueberry Pancakes you’ll ever taste.
Option B: Instead of using maple syrup, try drizzling your cake mix pancakes with homemade buttercream frosting! Or you can just eat them plain; I think they’re sweet enough on their own.
A few ideas for Cake Mix Pancake flavors:
• Vanilla/Yellow/White Cake Pancakes (this is my favorite; goes well with blueberries)
• Funfetti Birthday Cake Pancakes
• Red Velvet Pancakes (with optional mini white chocolate chips or buttercream frosting)
• Strawberry Pancakes (strawberry cake mix & diced strawberries, fresh or frozen & thawed)
• Lemon Cake Pancakes
• Orange Cake Pancakes
Note: Cake mix pancakes may take a little longer to cook than the original recipe, possibly because cake mixes use cake flour instead of all-purpose, & cake or pastry flour has less gluten.
🍞 Cinnamon French Toast Sticks
(Makes 14 French Toast Sticks*)
*1 Slice Bread = 4 Sticks
3 thick slices of stale bread (try Challah or Brioche)
1/2 cup Milk
3 Eggs (Optional: 1 Egg + 6 Tbsp Egg White from Carton)
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
2-3 Tsp Cinnamon Sugar Mix
1) In a mixing bowl, whisk milk & eggs together, then mix in vanilla & cinnamon sugar.
2) Pour mixture into a wide, shallow dish, & soak pieces of bread for 30 seconds on each side.
3) Heat greased pan on burner set to 3 or 4 (depending on your stove) & cook each piece 2-5 min on either side, lid optional.
Recipes to work on:
Lemon Cake Pancakes
Carrot Cake Pancakes
Apple Spice Pancakes